Tuesday, June 2, 2009

We Just Built the Next Google, Now How the Hell Do We Sell It?

I have read a bevy of white papers, sales books, and marketing slicks over the past 15 years and not once have I read one that speaks in common every day language. That being said, I’m going to venture off the proverbial path most traveled and talk to you all as if we were two friends sitting at a local Starbucks discussing how we are going to set-up a marketing and sales team to support the newly developed $10 billion dollar app.

SaaS has revolutionized the way we deliver software. Unfortunately, software delivery is just that, software delivery. There is an entire integrated process that needs to be in place in order for the company to succeed. Most small SaaS companies have focused exclusively on building an offering and have not spent much time thinking about the internal processes required to market, sell and support their SaaS offerings. I’m here to tell you that’s ok. You’re no different from most companies out there. But this is where the complacency ends. If it does not, you will be like every other failing SAAS vendor out there.

We have entered the world of social marketing, a refreshing evolution from the Selling to Vito days if you ask me. If buyers and their processes for buying have changed, then your internal processes for marketing, selling and supporting this change have to as well.

My goal with this blog is to create a community of folks who share ideas and thoughts on everything inside sales related. What works and what doesn't work. I will create a series of posts in the days ahead sharing what has worked well for me and I am excited to learn from everyone.